Thursday, June 28, 2012

T-Shirt Scarf

On Tuesday I was thinking I needed a project--something I could do without much investment of time and money.  So I went to my Pinterest boards and found the T-shirt scarf.  I've never seen one before but apparently they are available for purchase but are incredibly easy to make.



Since I had just gone through Mr.'s closet a week or so ago and hadn't yet taken those bags to the thrift store, I found 3 shirts which didn't have any designs on them.  Two had stains so I threw those aside.  The other one was perfect:  a navy blue heather Champion shirt.

First I used my sewing/cutting board and smoothed the shirt out over it.  Then I began cutting 1-inch strips from the bottom hem (discarding the hem), continuing all the way up to the armpits.  I got 15 strips (rings).  Now, the t-shirt I used had no side seams which I think would probably be easiest, but the original instructions say you can use shirts with seams.

Original Instructions for T-Shirt Scarf

Next I stretched the rings somewhat until they began to curl around the cut edges.  Last, I used a strip from the arm of the shirt and wrapped and tied it in one place to hold it together.  Can't wait to wear it when the weather cools down!

No comments:

Post a Comment