Friday, June 29, 2012

Bath Salts

Several years ago I made bath salts for a couple of those hard to buy for Christmas gifts.  I don't know how it turned out because I didn't try it out before I gave it away.  I came across a recipe recently so I thought I'd make some again.  I researched some other recipes on the Internet but ended up with this one.  The essential oil is pretty expensive.  I found a small 1/4 ounce bottle at Meadowbrook Natural Foods for about $5.  I went to the drug store for the glycerin.  It came in a larger bottle for about $4, but I only used a small amount.  The rest of the ingredients came from the dollar store or my pantry.  I thought it turned out wonderful and would definitely make it again.



2 c. Epsom salt
2 c. table, mineral or sea salt ( I used regular table salt)
1/2 c. baking soda
1 T. glycerine
1/2 T. olive, grapeseed or almond oil (I used olive because that's what I had on hand)
several drops of the essential oil of your choice (I used rose)

Stir the dry ingredients together in your largest bowl. Add glycerine and olive oil to the dry mix.  I used a whisk to get it as even distributed as possible.  Try to get rid of any lumps.  Then add essential oil a few drops a a time.  Mix thoroughly until you get the desired potency. Don't add too much at once. Store in plastic or glass airtight containers {I ended up with about 4 pint jars--some to keep, some to give away}.  Use a handful in your bath.  You are in store for  wonderful aroma!

You can see the complete guide and more information at the following link:
Basic Bath Salts

No comments:

Post a Comment